Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Performance Time

Waiting anxiously for it to be 1 pm. That's when I start my first lecture. Been obsessing about it for a while now. I am supposed to have not just the right kind of over heads but also the right mix of formal-informal dress code, sense of humor, apathy, authority, playfulness, instructor-ness...GAH what do they think I am - super woman? Well, I don't think I can practice humor right now. Too bad. Maybe they'll have to learn to live with a eyebrow -raising, puritan, Indian-type teacher for the next 6 weeks. Or maybe one day, inadvertantly a F*** or a Shit will sneak out of my mouth and they'll be all giggly and I'll be most popular for the rest of the minute.

India doing well against the Windies. I am surprised. Wish I was in Atigua or whatver the name of the island is (I keep calling it Aguada - thanks to my Goa obsession) watching it live! Nah, I lied. If I was in Atigua - the last thing on my mind would be the match - I would be happily floating in the sea and drinking Pina coladas right now.

Ok time to go. Go away you butterflies in stummy. I am a bond,I am not nervous. (Save me save me Do!)


Pheeeewoooo
That wasn't bad. I am quite the shit (BTW for you non yankee types, that means I am good. If I had said I am quite shitty, that would be bad. Get the nuances of the lingo babay?)! Feigned interest in all their lives for more than an hour. Nah, some of the kids WERE intersting - one plays elctronic jazz, a couple come from outside of this country - South Korea, China, Nigeria, Poland and Columbia, some were art historians, some mechanical engineers and lawyers. Quite an eclectic mix. I think (my great!) idea of making them talk to the person next to them, talk till they find something in common and then introduce their partner to the class helped break the ice (hehehehhe I am such a egotist). But I have to confess even the 1 hour seemed too long. I need to have a lot more ready for it go on for 2.5 hours from tomorrow. Yikes, some one give me innovative, fun yet "sociological" game ideas. QUICK.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amrita Pande said...

Nah Cheeku ke bum
That is WAYY too powerful for an intro class. Don't want to scare them off to econ so early in their lives. Let them at least TRY :P

how's cheek bruise and pretty studaants

5:05 AM  
Blogger Amrita Pande said...

Does majorama = Tughlaq or mariamma?
How long am i teaching kids: Do you mean in the literal sense? Then for 3 hours 3 times a week till end of summer.

Do I get paid well? HAHAHHAHA
Good joke! Well, it's enough to get me past the summers. Our school gives no funding in the summers.
Now that I think of it - this sounds like Mariamma. When are u getting here to Jose? And which school?

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals