Saturday, May 27, 2006

Movie update


On a happier note, saw this good (I refrained fromm saying "Great" cos I am still mulling over it) movie yesterday - Girl in the Cafe. Recommended by my current favorite yoga teacher (!!!). Aprt from the fact that it's really funny how seriously we take her - she said "watch the movie" and we ordered it on netflix immediately, I would say it was a good idea.

The movie starts off kind of slow - a middle-aged man meets this pretty Scottish girl in a cafe in London and the first half hour is a very realistic portrayal of awkward courting and shy moves. I loved both the actors - no pretentions, no melodrama, and so endearing..

The second part gets more political - a pretty on-the-face depiction of negotitations and political compromises that go on in the "big boy" meetings ( This one was G-8 meeting in Iceland...Bjork-Land!) . Now that i think about it - the movie was a mixture of Lost-in-Tranlation (the emotion part of it) and The Constant Gardener (the Political part). Hmm, actually on second thoughts, I can safely say it was a GREAT movie - I am updating my profile and adding it in my list of favorites!

And since the end was overly optimistic it saved me from the near hysteria I had after watching Constant Gardner and didn't give sleepless nights!
I TOTALLY recommend it :)

The Scottish girl (I am sure the movie was more powerful cos she was so beautiful!) said some brilliant quotes by Nelson Mandela. And even if it makes me sound naive - I know Britian is not really fighting against poverty in Africa, it made me happy that at least people would think about the injustice of it. The part when she is sitting at the fancy dinner (see image above) with the 8 "great men" who coulkd change the world and she says "while you are eating your souffles at this conference, ... a child is starving to death every 3 seconds in Africa".. Snaps her finger, "Here went one", pauses for 2 secs, snaps her fingers again "and here goes another one", should have given people indegstion for at least a day.

I know, social critics will analyse the feeling I got as "feeling good about myself, I did a good deed by thinking about Africa while eating my chocolate ice cream in front of a HBO movie" - yess it's terrible. It's as terrible as giving $1 charity for "starving children in XYZ place" while I buy a shirt wirth $25, or in India buying a Johnson and Johnson product just cos they claim that 1% goes to "charity"...
There is no BUT at the end of that statement. I have nothing to say in defence.

I got my 20 seconds of guilt and realization last night. Did I do something about it? Not yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals