Sunday, May 14, 2006

Sinful Songs and Bilking Books

Songs that I should Hate but Don't ... maybe it IS therapy time

1. Shakira Hips Don't Lie
2. Natasha Bedingfield: Unwritten
3. Black Eyed Peas: Pump it?
4. K T Tunstall: Black Horse and Cherry tree
5. 50 cents: In da Club (and the bhangra version I just heard!)

Books I shouldn't admit liking cos no one who is aatel is supposed to But Do...

1. Da vinci Code: Catch any one our kind of "we are different" variety who accepts liking this book! Well gah, I liked it. So there.
2. Winnie the Pooh: Nah, I don't care for the Tao choa of pooh, just the original innocent version is what I read every month at least once!
3. Fudge-a-mania: I passed the teenager stage a zillion years ago, I was never a teenage boy, but this one remains by unarguable favorite.
4. Enchanted wood series: Yes yes, Enid Blyton is a sexist. We need to rewrite her books in a more politically correct way. But till then, let me enjoy my Moonface, Silky, Fatty and Buster in peace...

Books I should like but Sorry I DO NOT:
1. Midnight's Children: WHAD THE FUHH?? Is all I can say to Rushdie's books - all except Haroun and the sea of stories. Maybe I am dumb. At least I am smarter than the rest of you, who hate his style but can't accept it!
2. Pretty pretty Jhumpa rani's Interpreter of Maladies: Ya ya she won a lot of awards. But most of her tales are told by every dida in Bengali households to their grand kids... not very original. And all you haters of Arundhati, all her good/bad politics aside, at least she experimented with writing style.
3. Love in the Time of Cholera: I like Marquez, but this one was so over rated. I kept waiting for the Marquez touch but all I got was a love story.
Give me the much less dhamakedar "No one Writes to the Colonel" any day.
4. Catcher in the Rye..... Got you there! I am just joking - that's one of my favorites! I am still waiting to ask a NYC cab driver "Where do the ducks go in the winters? "...

2 Comments:

Blogger Citizen said...

About midnights children & the hoo haa about salman Rushie- you are accurate. But I totally differ on your opinions on Jhumpa Lahiri.
I loved her Interpreter of Maladies & the rest that followed. Maybe you heard all the stories in your childhood, but I didnt, & they are wonderful to read.
ha ha
Catcher in the Rye-- I remember the time when I got that book-- mmm love the book & the love the person who gave it to me. Guess who??

9:54 PM  
Blogger Hystorical said...

sorrreeee. the da vinci code is not even ALLOWED on the same list as the catcher in the rye. you are hereby expunged from the fellowship.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals