Thursday, May 11, 2006

Yankiness sneaking into me, slowly

I know I know I should be writing my paper abstract but feel too tired!
Since I always have some inspirational factor for writing a post - let me launch on to why this one is about the "Yankiness sneaking into me"... eeks, ok ok I'll accept it, I just voted on an online poll - who I thought actually deserved to be kicked out of American Idol.. I even know the names of all the contestants, my favorite (Paris) got voted out a couple of weeks back and yesterday the cutie Chris.. aaaaaaaaaack I should kill myself.

In my first year here, my group of Jamaican friends tried to get me hooked on to this show and I resisted without any trouble. I sniggered at them every tuesday when they would all go hysterical over some wannabe singers. Look at me now, I run home from dinners and libraries as soon as the clock approaches 8:30.. BAAH TO ME

well, maybe that's not really yankee-ism. I mean all the auntyjis of India watch Kyuki saans bhi as religiously as I watch AI, so that's got nothing to do with the culture here?? Somehow I am not convienced.

To top that TV crime, I've started ordering sodas with my food. I thought, if not any patriotism or cultural difference, my kanjoosi would prevent me from getting addicted to this soda-wine with food culture. But no. I am weak. On the food bit, I confess, that I also bought fat-free yogurt, organic bananas and avacados yestreday from TJ. I joined yoga, (said OM - oh no don't tell baba!), but I was good - at least I resisted the urge to join in the yankee MANTRA chanting "AUM NAIMO SIVAIIYAI"..! Hyuk HYuk. It was quite surreal actually to be in a room full of old white women chanting away so seriously - I had to physically stop myslef from laughing hysterically...

I take allergy pills in the morning, take the dog out for a walk, shovel snow, yell "wassup, howareryou good" at people without wanting to know the answer or waiting to hear their question. I say "I REALLY appreciate that" and "THAT SOUNDS SO GOOD' in the exact right fake tone. In the 'who says "Uh huh" "Oh REALLY?" the maximum time and most irritating way' contest, I would possibly win.

I'll be officially there when I go for therapy. But then I would kill myslef before that - Jana gana man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals