Monday, May 29, 2006

It's not all bad!

Here I go again - indulging in my favorite activity - philosophising without a cause. I realised that I always write about "yankiness" in an almost derogatory way - as if it's a contagious disease and I am slowly discovering the symptoms that I have of this shameful illness. But that's not really how I feel about this place and its people.

Just talking to ma about the "Changing India" syndrome (yaya the same old thing I keep blabbering about, people of our type getting too rich for their own good) and I realzied that one of the BIG reasons I like the culture here is cos of the mandatory self-sufficiency it instills in you. There are no maids (or "help" if you want to be politically correct) to do your washing cooking and cleaning (yes, there is the Molly Maid variety but that's REALLY different from the maid situation back home). Graduate students do jobs like waitressing and housecleaning to earn some extra bucks. The middle class cannot afford the luxury of depending on a bevy of helpers to get them thru the day. And somehow, I think, that makes a big difference in the lifestyles and thought processes of the middle class here.

How come none of my friends who work real jos here think a $16 sandwich in NYC is cheap or that tipping a parking lot attendant 30 bux makes them cool? (For reference read PS).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals