Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Eavesdropping II

Nowadays my favorite past times are being voyeuristic on facebook and eavesdropping on undergrad bus conversation on my way back from school. Highly illuminating and definitely worth a book. But since I haven't yet found a publisher, I thought, why not a blog post instead? 

A tall african american boy gets on  to the bus. He looks around and chooses to sit next to the only other black person on the bus. Luckily, I am sitting on the seat right next to theirs.

At the risk of political incorrectness but saving typing time I will call them BB1 and BB2. 

BB1: Hey Dude, do you mind if I sit next to you, all other seats are full.
BB2: Grunts something.
BB1: So where you from, UMASS?
BB2: Grunts No
BB1 (unperturbed) I am originally from near New York, what about you?
BB2: Kenya

BB1  (so excited that he nearly pees in his pants) get out of here! You from Africa? The real Africa? What's that like man. Don't mind me asking you, but I've always wanted to know
BB2: Not bad. 

BB1: So is it true (looks a bit embarrassed) I mean don't want to sound stupid or anything, but is it true, in Africa you guys have cows instead of money?
BB2 (looks at BB1 and decides the question is for real, looks a bit dumbfounded but takes the plunge) Umm, no actually we have currency. And it depends on which part of Africa you are talking about. Africa is a pretty big place.

BB1: Yah man. I know I sound stupid. That was a real stupid question. Bt blame it on my education man. Blame it on the TV. But yu know it's not just oe channel I read in a real newspaper that there was like this woman in I donno somewhere in Africa and she was going to the mall and she I donno like she just got raped cos she was not wearing a scarf or something.  Does that happen man, in Africa? In kenya?
BB2: It could. 

BB1: So I've always wanted to go there, to Africa. I mean I feel like I should. So what is it like there? So would they know I am not from Africa if I went there? I mean, there must be all black folks there? Would they know, you think that i was from NYC? 
BB2 (starts looking out of the window)

BB1 (unperturbed) I am Carl, by the way. 
BB2: Steve

BB1 (stares) Steve? what kind of a name is that man? Steve is almost like it's anti Africa. Yo can't be called "Steve"!
BB2: You won't be able to pronunce my real name.

BB1 (thrilled) Oh man I love that! that's real. Try me. 
BB2: (grunts something)

BB1: (Laughs) Zaszahawa? Zeeshahava? Zazashaba? I'll just call you Zaza.




1 Comments:

Blogger ami said...

Very interesing ! America really needs Obama as President but I am afraid even MR. O is equally ignorant about Africa!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals