Sunday, November 18, 2007

Somebody talk to me


Bah this is boring. I never realized how hard it is to not talk to anyone from 6 pm -10 am. Actually, I had forgotten what it feels like. The labor day weekend during my first year at Amherst was probably the worst. All I had for company was City of Beasts by Isabella Allende. I deliberately read each line sloooowly so as to not finish the book before the weekend got over. Why didn’t I walk out and start exploring the campus? Well, I am not sure you would have if you were alone for the first time in your life in a new country and were as direction dyslexic as I am. I had nightmares that I would walk out and then never find my way back! And then the day that weekend I couldn’t open the can of tuna cos I didn’t know how to use the opener… I walked next doors and knocked on my neighbor’s door to ask for help but chickened out at the end and didn’t give him the real reason for my incapacity (that I had never done any work on my own!) and instead pretended that I have a sprained hand :)

Oh well, getting back to the present, this is not as bad. At least I can walk out without getting lost. But the worst is that there are quite a few people around, still no one to talk to. I see them at the dining common, in the parks. All the men walk by and whisper “Who’s she, who’s she” but no one actually stops to ask who’s me. I keep giving welcoming grins to people but to no avail. Managed to pounce on a girl tonight and didn’t have eat dinner alone, in silence, on a corner table! And then successfully pounced on another victim in the hostel corridors.. two down! Is it my hair? I always blame it on my poor mop of curls…(It can’t be my raised eyebrows. I swear I had them down ALL the time!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals