Wednesday, September 05, 2007

to Ahmad Jamal with love

oh, did I forget to tell you, I spent the evening with Jamal and Heath this sunday. Now isn't that a grand beginning to a post? Heee hee! But that IS what I did at the Tanglewood Jazz festival.

Spent the most amazing evening listening to some of the undoubted Kings of Jazz - Ahmad Jamal, Jimmy Heath and Hank Jones (and a not so inspiring Roberta Gambarini). Jamal killed me with his style, he would just touch the piano and even before he sat down the most amazing music would fill the hall. Heath was quite a killer too, although I understand the saxophone less than the piano and could not figure out HOW he could manage to get all that music out with such few movements...
Gambarini was a bit too naika for me and all her big-eyed shoo bi doos were beginning to get to me by the end of her half hour slot. Donno why Hank Jones couldn't play more and drown out her voice.

We were inside the hall and though that gave us a great view of Jamal's hands on the pianos and Heath's brilliant expressions, the lawn seemed quite attractive as well. I recommend the lawn seats and would probably choose those over the inside next time. The tickets cost almost fourth, you get to picnic and drink your own wine. Listening to Jamal under the stars.. mmmm.. that would have been lovely too (quite a musical life I suddenly have in New england, sneaking into a Dylan concert and tapping to Heath's saxophone. Wah bhai wah. I am proud of me)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was there too!!!! but in the lawns.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals