Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Players' Dramawallahs: The Show goes on?

I know I know, I seem to have taken the sole responsibility of remembering "institutions" and dedicating nostalgic tears to them but hey I am a bored PHD student wanting to "relax" on a saturday morning..!
I am not sure which shaped my life more Players or SPV. Oh well,that's not a fair question. SPV taught me a lot of things - how to be pseudo non competitive (no prizes only merit cards), how to respect ppl in an informal atmosphere (the historic waving of hands instead of standing up and saying "good morning SAAR" to teachers!), how to eat till my plate is empty and not waste food even if I am bursting, feminism (our Princy once announced "no girl should wear a skirt BELOW the knee cos that hampers activity - LOL can u imagine that? I mean the reverse happens everywhere esp in my infamous college Kirorimal where Princy announced a dress code for women) independence, creativity and all that blah (I am not sure tho how much of it was SPV and how much ma baba)
Players, taught me a lot as well. How to have fun and be myself for starters. I guess one of the things I hold against SPV (actually, not really, that was mostly my choice) is that very often I was play acting to fit in. I know I said this before, but I spent a large part of my teenage life there just grappling with my identity and pretending to be something I wasn't sure I wanted to be. Players changed that. It was theatre, the workshops and interaction with the theatre people that really brought out the "real" me in me (How ironic is that?! Discovering yourself while acting out a character)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals