Monday, March 20, 2006

Memories of Blue line buses

My meeting with a nauseatingly feminine women yesterday reminded me how lucky I am to be able to live life (mostly) the way I want to without having to pretend to be a dumb, cute, innocently wide eyed imbecile. I've always been curious about this one: Do women who pretend to be dumb whenver they are in the company of a man feel nauseated when they go back home or do they not realise what they are doing to themselves? I had this prefectly smart, totally capable of taking care of herself type friend in my undergrad days. She bloody well knew the difference between a hard drive and a hard-on but up pops a man in the pic and she would get all doe-eyed and start asking questions like "what happens when men have wet dreams - do they pee in their bed?"...

I always thought that had something to do with our "culture" (yah yah I used to blame a lot on "Indians are like that ONLY!" before I realised that most of this "men are from mars so they cant be blamed for anything" shit is pretty much universal). Well, it HAS to do a bit with the culture, if everytime a woman had to travel on her own in Delhi in broad daylight, she had to get either her boobs or her butt pinched, then obviously quite a few of them chose to be legless jellyfishes who needed a ride from their boys to make it on their own.

That reminds me of all the blogs that N made me read the other day on "eve teasing" - leaving aside my intense hatred for that word "eve - teasing" which totally trivialises the act. Heck when I got my butt rubbed on by half a million crotches in the Delhi buses I definitely felt like no "eve" and that was DEFINITELY not just teasing... that aside the blogs were really interesting and did make me feel more positive about life back home. Seriously, one of the biggest pros about my little village in New England is that I don't get reminded that I have boobs everytime I step out of the house- which is unfortunately not how fortunate we are in Delhi. Have things changed at all? Some of my clubbing and Calvin Klein lingerie- buying friends assert that it has. Atleast in some clubs and streets in South Delhi. Well, just count the number of women drinking and smoking and wearing miniscule skirts in Turquoise Cottage on a Friday night and you will know! Hmmm, how much of a change is that I wonder!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hystorical said...

Injuns in miniskirts? No wanna go home.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Hystorical said...

and you know what I met? a girl with a beard. not a stubble- no, no! a perfectly cared for goatee. everyone wants to cultivate a persona. delhi or nyc. depends on where the hell she is located, is what i think. and hey, i shd try that dumb, cute thing, eh? (the beard is not working, clearly!)

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals