Friday, March 03, 2006

Recovering from a Bah

Had a big scare yesterday. first N came online and being the bearer of all Indi news informed me that a school mate of ours has killed herself. I was not really that close to M but she was not the easily forgettable kind - pretty face, daughter of famous parents and everyone's sweetheart. She had some illness which made her depressed without any external circumstances. If that wasn't depressing enough when I narrated this story to my aprtmnet mate she scared the shit out of me by telling me that she has the same kind of depression. I am already a paranoid worrier about friends, now I have to physically restrain myself from checking on her every hour!What with the girl getiing hit by that truck on the crosswalk on wednesday and now this ... I am going to go nutty.

Anyway, my intention was not to treat this blog like an unpaid shrink, I logged in to write soemthing else, now I don't remeber what! Oh ya, was chatting with a friend (white American 29 year old girl) the other day and she started recalling her memories of India - she had gone there to visit a friend in Madurai a couple of years back. She had such fantastically funny highpoints - things and people we would never even notice that I wanted to write a travelogue titled something like "India through the eyes of a white woman"! Her list of things she loved most
1. The Omelette Man : This is the "thhele waala" who hangs ar0und street corners selling those oily stinky omelettes wrapped in a naan. We have a few near Kamala Nagar and the only time I was brave enough to eat them was 2 am on play rehearsal nights when option were highly limited!
2. Maggi Ketchup: "No one in the world can make better ketchups!"
3. Orange pop: I think she meant Gold spot cos we get plenty of Fanta here. I've been trying very hard to guess why she was drawn so much towards that drink - she app'ly had one everyday!
4. What she called the "Fried Yams": I have no idea what she meant cos I am pretty sure we get no yams in India? Do we? She described it as "those fried veggies that men sell on road sides and if u ask them to they sprinkle a lot of spices on it." I wonder of she was talking about the mirchi aalu chips!

Her narrative enthused the rest of the junta so much that even the most naika one (oh no what will I do when I see limbless children and homeless puppies) agreed to fly down for my wedding (they have all decided that I am getting married soon. No one bothered to tell the potential bride or groom :)
The moos, the snakes, the monkeys and the limbless beggars are calling....


1 Comments:

Blogger driver said...

In Kolkata we have roadside vendors with spicy bhajjis which fit her description. where was she located?

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals