Saturday, April 01, 2006

Dream Therapy


One wierd thing that attracted me to (some warped form of ) sociology early in my life - before I somehow wandered into Economics- was Freud and his whole schpiel on dreams. So why do we dream what we dream? And is there any point in dream interpretation? I very often like to give myself a lot of importance by beleiving that whatever I dreamt of last night has some potent fortune-telling interpretations. Like when I dream some relative has passed away - I always conjure up this hysteria that it might actually come true (thankfully it never does!)..

Some of the ones I get very often - one is of didu (my grandma who died more than 10 years back), somehow in all my dreams about her I know she is dead but she is still not. Umm, so what the plot usually is that I am walking around with her, conversing with her, taking her out to a restaurant, movie, hike etc but only I can see her. Rest of the people believe me but can't see her themselves. No, they are never spooky dreams -- just very nice and comfy...

Then there is another one I see where I am driving a car even tho' I don't know how to drive (technically I do know how to, atleast a lil bit, but in my dreams I don't at all), I always forget where the brakes are, which side of the road I am supposed to drive on, it's very often a hill and I am trying to accelerate but keep sliding down, and the cliff keeps coming dangerously closer.. I hate those ones... I guess it's a big nudge from the divine that i should pick up driving here asap!

The really fun ones are when I know I am in a dream and totally in control of how to end the story, like when ver I get chased by a big honking Mickey Mouse (ok I don't why i am very ofetn chased by MM in a blind alley but I am), and right when it gets close enough to harm me, I know th etrick of repeating to myself 3 times "this is a dream, this is a dream, this is a dream", closing my eyes hard enough and when I openthem I am awake!
Surreal huh ... gives me such feelings of power!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals