Sunday, April 01, 2007

It's not me...

I didn't let the wind in
It sneaked in through the windows
Not in celsius but in Fahrenheits
It swept past as I jogged through the Harvard Yard
In my Macy's Pants and New B shoes
Through traffic that stopped for pedestrians at cross walks
And cars that did not honk

It seeped in through the television commercials
The slim fast yogurts, tylenols and Ryan Seacrest
Trampled on our hinglish conversation
With your unconcious acceptance of home-sicknbess,

Conversations with self and anti-depressants.
And my conscious adjustments to my mispronounced name..

I sipped it with my glasses of wine, diet coke and seltzer water
Munched on it with the pizza and quick fix pastas.

Ofcourse I resisted at first
I resisted
By keeping my 'u' in my labour
By avoiding the vacuum cleaner
And the mildewing bathroom tub
That' s not what I came here to do, did I?
Aren't other people meant to do that for me?

I resisted
By announcing that white freckled faces
And red haair is unattractive,
That half doors in bathrooms and
No doors in shower rooms are embarrassing.
But as I watch you today
Talk about green cards and child care
I feel my resistance falter
Maybe just another 4 years?





3 Comments:

Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

bulls-eye.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a nice poem! it is a great expression of the hybrids we became: thinking in hindi - speaking in english; participating in american pop culture (i got the hint about american idol!) while nurturing our souls with songs from home or conversations with family. keep writing! it's inspiring!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Amrita Pande said...

Long time TR!
Anon, WHY ARE YOU ANON? I thought you had a blog?? Can't you sign in through that?

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals