Wednesday, August 02, 2006

And when I am 64...

1105 Mass. Av, August 1, 2006.
Room: Almost bare. No furniture except a mattress (which will be taken away in 20 days), a suitcase converted into a dressing table, a box with a Naga Shawl pretending to be a table. And the floor a picture of disarray.
Time: 15:01. Temperature: 101 F
I am melting. I am crabby. And I am losing in the zillionth inane game of scrabble. I start a conversation to distract the second player.
SP: You know this is the kind of life my Ma baba (and probably many Ma babas) love talking about to their kids. "When we started off we had nothing in the house except a pressure cooker and a ceiling fan."
"When we started off we lived in a one room barsati on one person's income"...
(Hmmm. Sure. With a slight difference. I am living in HS, in an apartment that costs more than 2 round trips to india. Ok got a huge discount but still. The apartment comes with a dishwasher and microwave. Ok. I never use those but still. There is an AC. Yups and you guessed right I almost never use that either. Hence the melting part in the beginning of the story. But still.
But still. When I am 64 I'll tell my kids "You know when we started off we didn't have the comforts YOUR generation can't even dream of living without... )
A: Shit. I scored just 43 on that one. Your turn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals