Tuesday, July 18, 2006

space and age

I have been feeling these strange emotions about the relativity of both for a couple of days. Partly due to the disastrous apartment hunt in Boston. Till I was 17 we used to live in this tiny tiny 1 BR apartment in North delhi with a 10x10 living room and a 6X8 bedroom and a balcony we had turned into a dining space. Baba had turned the super tiny outer shed into his work space and P had made the balcony hers. Didu stayed with us for several years in that apartment, we had the usual flow of visitors, friends and family. We never felt any dearth of space. The first time I realized our home was "small" was when I saw a classmate's house featured in the magazine for hotshot homes. The realization was partly due to my tumultous age as well - I was in my early teens when everything about everyone you know is embarrassing.

Living in this tiny rural town in a big house I think I've started taking space for granted. The backyard, the front green slopes, the big woods, the wide well made roads... But then when A sees the hills and rivers and lakes in new England he says they are tiny comapred to the scale of things he is used to in California.

Getting back to my apartment hunt - we are trying to get a place in the hip happening part of Cambridge - as close to Harvard sqaure as possible. the first place I saw, near Davis square, was soo small that you barely took a step in and it was the end of the apartment. I was so alarmed that I nearly asked the broker "and where's the rest?" I mean, she was actually daring to ask for $1100 for a dark humid closet sized something? wonder what my colorful extended family back home would say to our place in Boston if they ever visit (HAHHAHA@!! that would be something). Those who brag about the 6 bathrooms in their house... mmmm. Maybe we can live in one of their bathrooms - that would probably be bigger!

To tell you the truth I started this post in a fit of inspiration a couple of days back and now have lost of train of thought so will stop rambling.

PS: Got a sublet in Harvard sqaure so pics of the "happening" place and my lonley sleeping bag in an empty big room!



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When will you be moving?

7:23 PM  
Blogger Amrita Pande said...

????!!! mmm are u really THE Brittnie I know or just an anon person curious about people moving to boston??? If you are you, how do u know it's me :P

I am moving this monday.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

get a place yet? coolidge corner is really nice (and much more affordable, methinks).

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals