Friday, June 30, 2006

Love shove nahi nahi

There is no talent in writing a mushy love song - the geniuses are those who can make it so real and appealing that even die-hard unromatics like me end up liking it. So this is going to be an open ended list of some songs that I dare to like inspite of being ME!

1. Joan Baez's Love Song to a Stranger: No one can even touch this one. My favorite part:

We spoke not a sentence and took not a footstep
beyond
Our two days together which seemingly soon would
be gone
Don't tell me of love everlasting and other sad
dreams
I don't want to hear
Just tell me of passionate strangers who rescue
each other
From a lifetime of cares
Because if love means forever, expecting nothing
returned
Then I hope I'll be given another whole lifetime
to learn
Because you gave to me oh so many things it makes
me wonder
How they could belong to me
And I gave you only my dark eyes that melted your
soul down
To a place where it longs to be
I wish I could be hippy enough to say "Oh I can totally relate to it." Nah, I am too monogamous but still, it is so real that it makes me want to believe it's written about me, and by me!
2. Beth Orton's Central Reservation: i am getting too predictable, huh?
Running down a central reservation in last
night's red dress,
And I can still smell you on my fingers and taste
you on my breath;
Stepping through brilliant shades,
All the color you bring,
This time, this time, this time,
Is whatever I want it to mean.
3.
Beth Orton - Central Reservation


Ok this one may not count as a real love song - it's more a break-up song but what the heck. Bob Dylan's Just Like a Woman - I have to mention it in at least one of my posts! Oh ya, Lay Lady Lay would make a better one right?
4. Tracy Chapman's "If not now": This song from her first album (Fast car) is not too melodious and I don't think it caught the imagination of too many people (not as much as Fast Car and Baby can I hold you tonight - didn't backstreet boys or some shit pick this one up later?)
If not now then when
If now today then
Why make your promises
A love declared for days to come
Is as good as none
You can wait 'til morning comes
You can wait for the new day
You can wait and lose this heart
You can wait and soon be sorry
Now love's the only thing that's free
We must take it where it's found
Pretty soon it may be costly
If now now what then
We all must live our lives
Always feeling Always thinking
The moment has arrived

Tracy Chapman - Baby Can I Hold You

Baez's another masterpiece "Diamonds and Rust",
this one
makes me want to learn how to be a REAL singer so bad.
Now you're telling me
You're not nostalgic
Then give me another word for it
You who are so good with words
And at keeping things vague
Because I need some of that vagueness now
It's all come back too clearly
Yes I loved you dearly
And if you're offering me diamonds and rust
I've already paid

Joan Baez - Diamonds & Rust


And ofcourse, how could I forget, Joplin's Me and Bobby Mcgee
But I'd trade all o' my tomorrows for one single
yesterdayTo be holdin' Bobby's body next to mine
Since I am alos human (!) can I add 2 cheesy ones? I promise they are not Boyzone variety...
Sting's Field of Gold and Sade's By your side. Corny but catchy and immensely singable...

1 Comments:

Blogger Viperjazz said...

sorry, you asked about the jazzfest? here is a link
http://www.dubaijazzfest.com/

but i personally enjoyed
Sarah Morrow [ the all american band in paris]
Chico Freeman, Roger Hodgson, Jean-Luc Ponty & but ofcourse Kool & The Gang :)

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals