Monday, April 30, 2007

A tale of sociology grad mads

I feel emboldened by the "158 hits" on this blog... no one wants to leave comments but it seems 'someone" is reading it! It's like Orkut - your popularity is judged by the number of friends you have there - even if half the "friends" are people you last spoke to in 1986. I do confess that I ignored all my inner warnings and went public last week - put my blog address on my orkut page. As you would expect from a previously anon and hence rambling blog, I put footie in the mouth (yes man in the couch I mean wrt YOU :). Well, whatever. Since you continue to sit on the couch it means you have forgiven me!

A friend from school had come in to spend the weekend with her boyfee and soon to be hubby. We were discussing how odd our school is. It takes progressive politics to the other extreme - almost to the extent of being norm-phobic. She feels embarrassed telling faculty and classmates that she is getting married this year end. "Getting MARRIED? NO! To someone from the OPPOSITE sex? NO NO! That too wearing a WHITE DRESS? OH MY GOD IS SHE CRAZY?!" Maybe I've already told you my "intro to sociology grads in Mass." story, but here it is again...

This was in the fall of 2003. I was fresh out of India. Never had any non-straight friends. Never had any bearded junky 60-year-old professor wanting me to call him "Bob" (tho I did call one "Keval" back home!). Never had stinky cheese and wine during class. And definitely never had a more varied group of friends sitting around the table
1. a fantastically fun 45 year old lesbian from the 60s
2 an awesome looking dreadlocky Afro Am 23 year old man with a 8 year old daughter,
3. an aggressive but insecure, with piercings all over her face lesbian from the 90s,
4. a self proclaimed 21 year old bi-sexual,
5. a red-haired hyperactive 21 year old white boy,
6. a red-flag waving super smart man from Syria,
7. a self-obsessed born-in-uplifting-poverty white flirtatious woman,
8. a know-it-all Afro Am gay man,
9. a 40 year old stubbornly sexist Chinese man and as a result of all the above,
10 a bewildered mistakenly believed-to-be-innocent Korean girl.

As you can tell from the descriptions I love some and not-so-love the rest. But whatever be my biases, now you should know why the poor bi-sexual who is bi sexual no more is scared to reveal the scandalous details of her white-bridal gown wedding!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

but what's the story?!

so far we have as much plot as the telephone directory (but what a cast! :-)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Amrita Pande said...

ishtory khatam. Phd writing shuru...

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals