Thursday, December 14, 2006

Dilli

Just finished writing a long list of "what all to do in one week in LA" to another friend. That's one city I've loved and enjoyed more than any other in Amreeka. And whenever any of my friends decide to make a trip to LA I send my enthu "Go to Ambala Dhaba and Getty" suggestions to them. I sometimes wish I had moved there instead.. ok but this post was not about that.
So while writing that list for the umpteen time I decided to make one for Dilli as well. Here's my list of favorite things to do and places to see in my big bad home town - in no particular order!

1. Dilli Haat in the Winters: All the things to do and see and hear and taste are very season specific so don't complain if you venture in a diff season than that recommended by me!
Dilli Haat is undoubtedly one if not THE best place to hang out in a sunny winter afternoon. Forget all the farmer's market and all that shoo sha you go to, come to Dilli haat. From rugs to bracelets to momos and prawn in coconut curry - you can get whatever your heart desires. My personal favorites are the manksho rooti (meat roti) at Bijoli Grill, not-so-silver silver anklets, beaded purses, Rajasthani mirrors and the Mehndi waaalis who hang out outside the haat.

2. Nizamuddin Dargah on Thursday evenings: This is the best place to combine some live sufi music with yummy kababs (tho' maybe my low immunity, amreekanised tummy won't be able to enjoy those beef kababs anymore!). Went there a couple of times with aluchaat, once with Riti and her token firangi friend and I was as fascinated by the amazing architecture of the dargah, the color, the noise and the smells of the place as the mad passionate singing by the young sufi singers.

3. Janpath and Connaught Place(oops Rajiv Chowk!): This is a super convenient evening destination thanks to the metro. I am not a big shopper and feel suffocated if I have to walk around in closed Gurgaon style malls but I love street shopping in CP and Janpath. Janpath is ofcourse firnagi paradise and if you happen to land up at a shop at the same time as some white-skinned mem, then your best bet is to move on cos the shopkeeper is going to either ignore you completely or growl at you rudely. Can't really blame them - they can sell a cushion cover for Rs 500 ($10) to one of the whiteys (heheheh Bingo that one was for you) while we native-types will bargain it down to a Rs 50 ($1). Then there is the sanitized version of dilli haat - the air conditioned, sparkling clean Cottage Industry. Where you can look as much as your heart desires without buying anything (everything caters to dollar earners)

4. Chandni Chowk (literally silver square): Aloochat and gang would be better atdescribing this area - but whatver I remember of it are my ventures with the Arora clan, Ma and once with Mojo. Mojo and I had decided to eat EVERy possible thing we could eat so from gobhi paneer and non veg Parathas at Parathe -waali gali ( a whole lane full of just paratha joints) to gol gappas made by the man with the dirtiest finger nails to the creamiest kulfi (Indi ice cream) to the perfectest dahi bhallas (a sweet spicy yogurt based dish? Can't really decribe it). Apart from the food, Chandni chowk is a paradise for jewellery shoppers - I' ve looted Ma several times by taking her to the silver shops and buying tons of silver dangling ear-rings, bangles and anklets. If you know a lil bit about prices this is the best and cheapest place to shop. My german friend went crazy here and bought himself half a dozen thick bracelets and chokers and looked totally crazy in our entire himalayan trip - since he has short red hair and is very german "macho" looking!

ok this threatens to be an endless list so I will pause for now...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the list was quite short...would love to read more on it.

Being one of the members of the arora clan, I must confess I haven't explored the great chandni chowk as well as you seem to have but yes I totally relish the amazing food it boasts of...have had many unpleasnt and disturbing experinces at the hands of disguting men there...so i have mixed emotions towards that area of Delhi...

I also love Dilli Haat...its a place everyone must visit at least once...after that first visit I am sure they would visit it again again on their own...

I am glad to be finally able to comment on your blog...

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals