Monday, January 30, 2006

Mofongo baby!


I've always wanted to try the "national" dish of the place I visit - couldn't make myself do it in Edindurgh where that involves eating somthing called HAGGIS (really hagish bong style!). If you think I am just being cute then read on ...

Simple Recipe for Haggis
1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
1 sheep's stomach
1 sheep heart
1 sheep liver
1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup stock
Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffin..... WANT MORE??!!

anycase, the reason why I started talking about national dishes in the first place was cos I managed to try one - the Puerto rican "Mofongo" yesterday! Much less dangerous than the haggis it is a simple sweet plantain pie with a spicy beef filling. Oh well, you know I am just showing off, yaha I did take another trip, this time to San Juan, Puertu Rico. And no, you can't say I am neglecting my PhD cos it was (at least ostensibly) for a conference!

To get it going let me start with some pics of the island, sun and beaches.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

v

web hit counters
Office Deals